Blends with mint-kale-cucumber-lemon-chia-spinach are in high demand, and for good reason – they are full of benefits – but sometimes you just want to go back to basics. We asked Marissa Lippert, founder of Feed kitchen + table, to guide us through the health benefits of our favorite fruit juices. (Remember: always choose cold and freshly pressed and avoid anything with added sugars.)
1) Watermelon juice. This juice, consisting of more than 90% water, is one of the most hydrating options you can find and contains antioxidants that help reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer and high blood pressure. Drink it while exercising – the citrulline helps to reduce muscle pain and reduce the risk of inflammation (bonus: the amino acid is also a natural libido booster for men). Our choice: WTRMLN WTR.
2) Pomegranate juice. Pomegranate juice, an antioxidant bomb, is filled with vitamins E and C to reduce wrinkles and protect against sun damage. Pomegranate juice also helps to minimize inflammation and the phytochemicals in the fruit stop the growth of aromatase, one of the most important enzymes responsible for the growth of breast cancer.
3) Blueberry juice. The large amounts of flavonoids and disease-fighting antioxidants in blueberry juice can help reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease and other mental illnesses. A study conducted at the University of Cincinnati found a connection between blueberry juice and cognitive aging – the results concluded that those who consumed blueberry juice scored higher on memory tests as opposed to those who took placebo drinks. Consumption can also prevent diabetes and increase the amount of nitric oxide in the body, which helps to lower blood pressure.
4) Grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice is perfect for the beach season and helps to release excess water, stimulates metabolism and strengthens the immune system. Stay with the ruby red colors to control your weight and control your blood sugar levels.
5) Cranberry juice. Cranberry juice is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C and is considered an anti-inflammatory powerhouse. It is known to help prevent kidney stones, cavities and to ward off urinary tract infections.
6) Orange juice. Orange juice is best to provide the body with tons of vitamin C. Drink it for a healthy immune system and to fight free radical damage. Consuming an eight-ounce glass can also help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
7) Beet juice. Beet juice plays an enormous role as a liver detoxifier, thanks to betalain, that it also gives its deep red pigment. You don't need much to enjoy the benefits – only a small amount per week is enough to stimulate detoxifying enzymes and flush your system.